There are three ways to find out what happened to an SMS sent through the SMS API.
- Pull the status using the GET method of SMS/Messages resource
Example for Linux command line:
$ curl "https://<ExotelSid>:<ExotelToken>@api.exotel.com/v1/Accounts/<AccountSid>/SMS/Messages/4dd44cc0f7010ee43ca256126f3efc88"
Response can be in XML or JSON or CSV. More details on the developer page.
- Have Exotel push the SMS status to you after delivery.
- Pass an additional parameter "StatusCallback" in your SMS POST request
- This parameter should be a valid URL that is hosted by you on one of your servers
- Exotel will make a POST request to the above URL with the following parameters: "SmsSid", "Status" and "DateUpdated"
- DetailedStatusCode and DetailedStatus fields are currently unavailable via StatusCallback
The various possible types of Status, DetailedStatus and DetailedStatusCode is being discussed in the Get SMS Details API page.
- Download reports
The various filters and columns available in reports are being discussed here