The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) is constantly looking for ways to improve end-user experience and eliminate spam and fraudulent commercial communication (2018 Regulation).
We got a new update from TRAI in Jan’2020 regarding the implementation aspects (See TRAI regulation implementation and it mandates Indian businesses using SMS to register Entities, SenderIDs, SMS templates in a centralised portal from operators.
(i.e. Registration of business/enterprises using SMS for communication in India)
If you use Exotel SMS (using the web UI or campaigns or applets or APIs), you will need to complete this registration in order to be compliant with TRAI’s regulations
You will need to register your business on a centralised portal.
Here’s an outline of the registration process.
In case you have already completed the registration process, you will also need to add Exotel as a Telemarketer.
Documents you need to upload and keep handy during the registration process:
Proof of business identity (Govt issued) - Business PAN
Proof of business entity - GST or TAN certificate
Letter of authorisation (allowing the right person to register on behalf of your business)
The authorised individual’s ID (Govt issued)
Exotel’s Telemarketer ID: 110200001174
We have provided an abstract or overview of SMS types below. PLEASE READ all the details about the SMS Types in the FAQ page (see below) before registering SenderID & Templates. It will help you figure out the correct template-type and consent-type for senderID and Templates.
FAQ Page : https://www.vilpower.in/faq/ - Principle Entity > Header Registration > What are SMS types>
- Promotional - Promotional message means commercial communication that can be sent to a mobile subscriber whose preferences are not set (not on DND). Or, any commercial communication that an enterprise can send to an intended Recipient after taking consent to send such messages.
- Transactional - Transactional message means a message which contains One Time Password (OTP) and requires you to complete a banking transaction initiated by the bank customer. This is applicable to all banks including national/ scheduled/ private/ Govt. and MNC banks
- Service Implicit: Any messages, arising out of customer’s actions or his relationship with the Sender, that is not promotional, and is not in the interest of the customer to block such communications. These messages may or may not be triggered by a subscriber-initiated transaction and will not be blocked for subscribers who have otherwise blocked service messages also.
- Service Explicit : Any service message which doesn’t fall under the category of service message (Implicit) will be sent only against service explicit, digitally verified/verifiable consent that has been taken from the subscriber by the respective enterprise.
1) As per new regulation, only OTP messages for banks are considered Transactional. All other OTP messages or transactional messages are classified as Service Implicit. While creating the senderIDs (for non-banking related use cases), need to use Service Implicit as the type for SenderID
2) Promotional messages need a numeric senderID. Please note that while creating Promotional Headers on the portal, the Header should start with the number that matches with the category (as per DND Preferences).
1 Banking/Insurance/Financial products/ credit cards
2 Real Estate
5 Consumer goods and automobiles
6 Communication/Broadcasting / Entertainment/IT
7 Tourism and Leisure
8 Food and Beverages
If an enterprise registers itself under the category ‘Tourism’, they can register their headers as 712390, 790234, 791919. A health based company should register its headers as 412300, 490909, etc.
PS: Govt. Headers fall under Service Implicit.
Centralized portals for registration
Support details for portal
Operator decides the fee. Please check with the operator portal's support for info
Phone: +91-9619 500 900
(10AM to 5PM – Monday to Friday)
|https://www.airtel.in/business/commercial-communication/home||- same as above -|
- same as above -
- same as above -
Registration fees may vary per operator. Please note that this fee is not charged or collected by Exotel.